EBR district attorney will not charge Council on Aging over alleged mishandling of funds
BATON ROUGE - East Baton Rouge Parish District Attorney, Hillar Moore has deemed that, for now, the parish's Council on the Aging is in the clear.
Moore’s review of a 2017 report on an investigation into the organization led to this decision.
The investigation was headed by The Louisiana Legislative Auditor and it revealed a lack of sufficient evidence to prove that the Council on Aging or its officers committed any of the potential crimes referred to in the Auditor’s report.
The Auditor’s report began by listing six areas of concern in the Council’s business management. It was suspected that the organization was either misusing funds or engaging in unlawful practices related to the management of a group called Support Our Seniors (S.O.S.).
Those areas of concern included the following:
(1) suspicion that management and staff performed political activities during work hours
(2) suspicion that the Council improperly donated funds to S.O.S.
(3) suspicion that the Council used public funds to pay S.O.S.’s expenses
(4) suspicion that the Council improperly used its postage permit on behalf of S.O.S.
(5) suspicion that Council workers may have improperly received reimbursements from the Federal Emergency Management Agency following the August 2016 flood
(6) suspicion that the Council inadequately documented expenses made on an organization credit card.
The Auditor further suggested that though the Council’s activities in relation to one or more of the above activities may have been questionable, evidence was not substantial enough to move forward with charges.
Click here for WBRZ’s original story related to suspicion that the Council on Aging had been misusing funds.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Baton Rouge residents watch historic SpaceX launch
Mom and pop shops buzzing with business after shutdown
Watch: Historic space launch Saturday
Two fleeing drivers take troopers on separate, wild police chases overnight (2)
Two fleeing drivers take troopers on separate, wild police chases overnight