Red Cross tips for what to do after a tornado
American Red Cross responders are moving into impacted areas to assist residents due to severe weather and tornadoes that struck Southeast Louisiana on Tuesday.
Red Cross issued the following tips to residents on what to do following a tornado:
- Continue listening to local news or a NOAA Weather Radio for updated information and instructions.
- If you are away from home, return only when authorities say it is safe to do so.
- Wear long pants, a long-sleeved shirt and sturdy shoes when examining your walls, doors, staircases and windows for damage.
- Watch out for fallen power lines or broken gas lines and report them to the utility company immediately.
- Stay out of damaged buildings.
- Use battery-powered flashlights when examining buildings – do NOT use candles.
- If you smell gas or hear a blowing or hissing noise, open a window and get everyone out of the building quickly and call the gas company or fire department.
- Take pictures of damage, both of the building and its contents, for insurance claims.
- Use the telephone only for emergency calls.
- Keep all of your animals under your direct control.
- Clean up spilled medications, bleaches, gasoline or other flammable liquids that could become a fire hazard.
- Check for injuries. If you are trained, provide first aid to persons in need until emergency responders arrive.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Baton Rouge rapper NBA YoungBoy pleads not guilty to federal weapons charges
Officials with EBR Schools face pushback from community over 'Smart Start' plan
Thursday's 2 Your Health Report
Roofers slammed after hail storms damage properties in Ascension
Parish offers 'no comment' to eroding drainage ditch issue in Prairieville
'We have a plan': Coach O quiet on how Title IX scandal...
Southeastern regains sole possession of first place in Southland standings with win...
Max Johnson in the mix for LSU starting quarterback job
Coach O admits to mistakes, takes steps to correct them in the...
Saints QB Jameis Winston gets emotional discussing Drew Brees