Mother, daughter killed after kitchen goes up in flames Saturday morning
BAKER - A mother and her daughter were killed when their apartment kitchen went up in flames around 6:30 Saturday morning.
The fire was reported at a location in the 5000 block of Baker Blvd. just east of Mchugh Road.
After the fire was extinguished firefighters found a 34-year-old woman deceased in the apartment's dining room, while her 8-year-old daughter was found deceased in the living room.
Authorities identify the victims to be Dominique Holden and her daughter Iyonna Holden both died of carbon monoxide poisoning.
According to the Brownsfield Fire Department, the husband of the victim came home after a late night work shift and called 911 when he noticed the fire.
The State Fire Marshal's Office confirmed the fire investigation and said the fire was confined to the single unit where the blaze erupted. There were no smoke alarms located in the apartment.
The cause of the fire as been ruled as accidental.
Follow the publisher of this post on Twitter: @treyschmaltz
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Frenchtown Road Bridge remains closed for emergency repairs
Sheriff: High school student caught in gunfire, killed overnight
Ascension teachers produce music video to hype students for LEAP testing
Metro Council to discuss new measures related to downtown library
Man arrested, charged with manslaughter in nurse's death
Tiger fans pumped for LSU's new athletic director
LSU introduces Scott Woodward as university's new athletics director
Coach O talks new AD Scott Wooodward, Joe Alleva's exit
LSU Gymnastics Prepares for NCAA Championship Final
Baton Rouge native said to replace Joe Alleva as LSU Athletics Director