Man facing first-degree murder charge in 2016 deadly home invasion
UPDATE: A second suspect has finally been arrested in connection to a murder that occurred in December of 2016. BRPD says a tip led to the arrest of Richard James Johnson, 36, on September 27, 2018. He was located in Texas.
On Wednesday, October 10, Johnson was booked into the East Baton Rouge Parish Prison and faces charges of first-degree murder and home invasion.
BATON ROUGE – One of two suspects in a home invasion and murder earlier this week has been arrested.
Carl Smith, 32, faces principal to murder and home invasion charges. Smith was booked into jail overnight.
Investigators said Smith and an unknown shooter forced their way into a home on Ritterman Avenue last weekend where Juan Montgomery, 37, was shot to death. Smith and the shooter left the house in Smith's girlfriend’s car. An eyewitness gave police the license plate number and police were able to track Smith down.
Montgomery’s wife watched the entire attack, police wrote in arrest documents obtained by WBRZ Saturday morning.
Police did not have information on the shooter.
The suspects and the victim knew each other, police said.
Follow the publisher of this post on Twitter: @treyschmaltz
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Residents get timeline for Baton Rouge drainage projects
Donations pour in for ransacked animal shelter after overnight break-in
Surveillance video from local store captures dramatic tail-end of police chase
Local grocery store giving opportunity to special needs workers
Leaders at Baton Rouge Detox center blame incompetence for possible shutdown