Lobdell Boulevard apartment fire set by child playing with lighter
BATON ROUGE - Fire crews say a massive fire on Lobdell Boulevard was caused by a child playing with a lighter Wednesday afternoon.
The fire was reported around 3 o'clock in the afternoon at the Aspens Apartments. Fire crews closed roads in the area to battle the blaze.
The inhabitants of the building, including a dog rescued in a large mesh box, were able to get out of the burning complex.
Investigators say the fire stemmed from a six-year-old playing with a lighter. Four of the ten units of the building were destroyed, six more received heavy smoke damage.
EMS treated one resident on the scene, and later released the victim.
Officials will place the child in the Junior Fire Setters Program.
Desktop NewsClick to open Continuous News in a sidebar that updates in real-time.
Residents get timeline for Baton Rouge drainage projects
Donations pour in for ransacked animal shelter after overnight break-in
Surveillance video from local store captures dramatic tail-end of police chase
Local grocery store giving opportunity to special needs workers
Leaders at Baton Rouge Detox center blame incompetence for possible shutdown